Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Getting Older

It's official.  Yep, I've reached the ripe old age of 36 without meeting my end in a number of possible ways like:

*breaking my neck as I jumped off the swings at school
*crashing my bicycle into objects harder than I am
*picking a fight with a guy WAY bigger than I am
*freezing to death stuck in a snowdrift less than a mile from my house
*being pecked to death by crazed chickens
*being strangled by any number of people I know that have lost all patience with me
*having my face torn off by wolfdogs
*being thrown from a horse and breaking my neck (that was a close one)
*wiping out on my motorcycle
*falling face down on skis and not being able to get up

So, I've learned a few things in these 36 years.  Here ya go, and may they help you sooner than they did me.

*Be careful.  Be very careful.  But don't be so careful that you forget to have fun.  (And NEVER EVER say "Hey folks, WATCH THIS!")
*Family is important.  I can't stress that enough.
*Always be willing to try something new.  It may scare the bejeebers out of you, but you might just enjoy it.  If you don't, you don't have to do it again.
*Love Makes the World Go Round isn't just a saying.  Love the people around you (and if you don't, don't hang around them!), Love what you do, and Love who you are.
*Go out and LIVE.  Those dishes will still be there when you come back.
*If your day is crappy, find one special moment when it wasn't.  Treasure it.  Be thankful for it.  Make it happen again.
*Don't take crap from anybody.  Check your definition of crap. 
*An oldie but a goodie:  Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  Don't be afraid to lend a helping hand:  someday you might need one too.  Besides, sometimes you meet neat people that way!
*Shit happens.  The sooner you can laugh about it, the better, but someday you WILL look back at that moment and laugh.
*If you're like me, adventure follows you like a rabid dog.  It chases you around then it bites you in the butt.  Roll with it.
*Don't get 60 chickens until you're sure you have enough pens.

Here's to another great year, folks.  May yours be as good as mine will be!


3 comments:

  1. I bet you also survived a drop down crib. Great advice, Shana. You are the same age as my firstborn. Gee, that makes me feel old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, I don't think I was in a drop down crib, but I'm pretty sure the thing had lead paint. Makes me want to sing "I Will Survive!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drop down, as in one side can be dropped down or raised up. All cribs used to be like that and most of us survived them.

    ReplyDelete