Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Easter Bunnies

Well, I sure hope you're comfortable and have a cold drink with you.  This is yet another long story.

One of my husband's coworkers asked a while back if we wanted 2 chicks and a baby bunny after he was done with his photo shoot.  Well, I thought, more laying hens is good, right?  How in the heck I'd fit them into the middle of the brooding cycle was beyond me, but I knew I'd figure something out.  After all, I only have 14 chicks in the brooder who need to move outside (before the other 8-10 get here), plus 17 Cornish meat birds that REALLY need to get out of my screen porch and stink up my yard instead.  I've got cages, I've got lamps, sure, this could work.

Scott was surprisingly permissive about the rabbit.  If you'd have seen his face after I got all these chickens, you'd understand just how surprising that is.  He's not upset . . .but like I said before:  he's the gardener, I'm the critter person.  I really don't think he understands just how bad my chicken fever is.

Well, today we found out that the photo shoot had fallen through.  No chicks, no bunny.  Actually the no chicks was rather a relief.  (even though I did have serious pangs when I went in to get feed today and all baby chicks were marked down to 50 cents!)  I didn't really want to make ANOTHER setup--we need to get the chicken tractors made now and put those little gems to work!  The no bunny part though . . .

It was my fault.  I mentioned to the kids that we were going to get a bunny.  I even showed them the old Bugs Bunny clip with the Abominable Snowman.  You know how it goes:  "Just what I always wanted!  My very own bunny rabbit!  I will hug him and stroke him and pet him and pat him and call him George."  To say they were excited was like saying that the Pope is a little bit Catholic.  So now what was I going to do now that there was going to be no rabbit?

I find a rabbit.  Of course.  I get on the farm animal swap page where I've seen rabbits posted before.  I had been thinking we'd end up with a Californian or New Zealand (good meat rabbits, you know) but the more I thought, the more I thought that probably wasn't a good idea.  After all, we can't have George stew after he becomes a pet.  So then I thought--this is a good way to have the kids start doing chores.  Still, I'm going to have to be the one to make sure that they DO them.  I'm going to get a rabbit that I like.  Something small, something cute, something friendly.

I've always liked Lops.  Looking for them I found a lady selling Dwarf Hotots (among other small breeds).  I'd never heard of them, so I googled them and found this:

Photo from animal-world.com

Then I found out that they're great with children and enjoy affection.  They max out at 3 lbs and only eat 1/4 cup of pellets a day.  PERFECT!  I called the lady.  Now mind you, I've had lots of different pets, but I've never had rabbits.  She was awesome in giving me information and a great chat. 

Turns out she had 3 spoken for, but 2 left.  One had an eye injury.  She was asking $30 each.  From free to $30 is quite a jump, but after talking a bit, she offered to throw the baby with the eye injury in for free.  I committed.  After all, this way each of the kids has one and when they're out there, they'll have a buddy to talk to, even if they're in different cages.  See, they're too young to sex yet.  I don't want to breed brother to sister, so I'll have to stay on top of it.  So, wish me luck.  I apparently have SOME because Scott didn't kill me when I told him.

Here's a pic of one of our bunnies-to-be to give you warm fuzzy feelings!


2 comments:

  1. sounds like something I would do. we are thinking about bunnies to, so I am intrested in what happens next. :)

    ReplyDelete