Thursday, February 2, 2012

I love a good mystery

I'm new to this county.  I know a lot of the history about the town I grew up in, but that's not where I live now.  And, being an amateur archaeologist/anthropologist, I got intrigued when a friend posted a picture on Facebook.  Local legend has it that this property was an asylum, but I think the more accurate statement is that it was a "poor farm."  Still, seeing these buildings has me stumped as to what they were used for.

the larger building--about 9 ft tall and probably 12 ft on either side outer dimension

the smaller building (with my 4 year old for size).  Probably about 7 ft tall.

I've heard theories that they were used for dynamite storage (the smaller one has a bench in it), or "sin bins."  Both have heavy doors that are clad in metal on the outside, with outside hasps.  All of the vents have screening permanently installed on the inside.  Mom and I were debating the ideas of "cold storage," since the walls are a foot or more thick, or possibly smokehouses.  I didn't see any trace of soot on the floors though.  I also can't see any reason anyone would be using dynamite in that area.  They're also surprisingly unvandalized.  If ANYONE knows what these might be, I'd love to hear from you.

In between these and what was probably the main complex (a large 3-story house, with a smaller house adjacent), there's a small cemetary.  Most of the headstones look the same:  either plain arches or just rocks set into the soil.  No fancy polished stones here. 

This is the fanciest one--it not only has a complete first name, but it has dates, and on colored marble.  Most of the others just have a first initial and last name. 

so should I send this to Stephen King to let him know that he's dead?

And here's the saddest one.  It's a full-size grave.  Someone always brings him flowers.  I added some grasses to his arrangement today.  I wonder who he was.  I wonder what his name was.  I want to hear his story.  My heart aches because nobody knew (or remembered) his name when he died.  At least someone still remembers to bring him flowers.  I think I will too.


His headstone looks to be one of the older ones out there.  There are many others--German names, Hispanic names, English names . . .and all so generic.  I hope that when it's my time to go, I'll be more than a first initial and a last name on a stone.


Close to the main house (I didn't take pictures of the main house because I think someone lives there--I've been told that it's a lady not quite right in the head) is this:




The bottom floor appears to be one big wide open room, and there are 5 sinks piled around the foundation and in the basement.  Was it a sick house?  It's impressive that the limestone lintels have the same decoration as the house straight east of me that I've become obsessed with.  I wonder if the same builder built them.

I did hail the main house since there was a car with current tags parked out front. . .but the treadmarks on the driveway were OLD.  Yeah, mantracker, that's me, LOL.  The door was open, the yard light was on, but I didn't get a response.  I tried to assure them that we meant no harm and would like to talk.  No response.  It's a beautiful house though--I'll bet the inside could be beautiful too. 


It says some, but not nearly as much as I want to know.  Maybe if I keep going out there and get to know whoever lives there, I can dig deeper.  I've gotta KNOW!!!  And at least, in this mystery, there is no skipping to the end of the book.  Wish me luck, folks!

1 comment: