Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Nice Weather We're Having

Isn't it?  Here in Kansas, we're enjoying a very mild winter.  I'm enjoying it for lots of reasons:  not only do I still have plenty of greens to pick for the chickens (without hitting the stash in the hoophouse), but I can send the kids outside to play when they drive me nuts inside--and not have to worry about frostbite.

Yeah, we're making a dent in the firewood, but we're not using nearly as much as we would have in a winter like last year.  Maybe that's because we're getting smarter about burning, or just learning to layer up a little more on cloudy days when the passive solar doesn't make much heat.

It's so nice to be able to go out and do chores in clothing that I can put my arms down in.  Yeah, I still wear my Packers hat, but that's usually to keep my hair under control.  I don't usually have to wear the hated pink gloves.  It's nice to go down to the coop again--not ugly cold and I don't have to wade through drifts.  I'm sure the horses appreciate it too.  Seeing them in their warm fuzzy winter coats warms my heart while I'm warming my body by forking hay to them.

I can't escape the feeling that all this niceness is going to turn ugly.  Heck, it was almost 70 degrees yesterday.  IN JANUARY.  I'm seriously wondering if February is going to become a morass of snow, rain, or other storms.  It just seems like we've had it TOO good so far.  I know that sounds pessimistic, but remember the farmers' motto:  hope for the best, but plan for the worst. 

And how many good conversations have started with "nice weather we're having?"  Finding mutual ground, associating with one another (even if it's vilifying the weatherman that was wrong, haha), is usually the start of friendships.  Even people with radically different views socially or politically are happy to talk about the weather.  Or their kids.  Or their car.  (and if they've got a Bugatti Veyron, I'm going to hit them up to borrow it!!!!!)  Common ground is the basis of relationships.  I'm glad that I have so much in common with so many people--it doesn't make me normal, it makes all of us special.

Scott is down building our overnight fire now.  Smells like it's time to clean the chimney again.  Thank goodness the weather looks cooperative.  Sleep tight, all.  Enjoy the weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment