Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Dependency

It's amazing how quickly we become dependent on something, isn't it? 

Take this as an example:  I grew up when card catalogs were still being used in libraries.  I remember being taught how to use the filing system.  When there was something I wanted to find out about, I got my parents to drive me to the library and found my information in a book that was likely older than I was.  Even when the library upgraded to computer filing, I didn't know the half of it.

Now I live in the information age.  Google is a way of life.  I can type "barnevelder" or "black copper marans."  I can type "home remedy sore throat" or "green tomato jam."  I can read about politics, past Presidents, or Roman Senators.  The information (and input from millions) comes to my fingertips instantly, without even having to stand up, let alone leave my home.  I can find phone numbers in cities I've never heard of (let alone know anyone who had a telephone book for).  Heck, I can even write this blog and save it on someone else's server until I'm ready to hit publish.  For those of you that are curious, here are pics--and they took just seconds to find.

Double-laced Barnevelder hens, photo from Wikipedia

Marans eggs, photo also from Wikipedia

So you'll understand why I felt like my right arm was cut off last night.  Apparently a major accident had severed our Internet provider's cable.  (And yes, my prayers go out to the families of those involved).  They had to wait until the police had finished with the scene to begin repairs, and I just couldn't stay up till 2 AM.

Suddenly I was without my information feed.  Every optimistic reload ended in disappointment.  Every single thing I've ever wanted to look up in my LIFE ran through my head and made my fingers tingle in frustration.  I felt like an addict getting the shakes for their next fix.  Luckily service was restored this morning (thank you techs!) and I could reconnect with my life/info line.

We also become dependent on our families and our friends.  We depend on them to support us, yet be honest with us.  We depend on them to be who they say they are, and actually depend on them to expect and hold US to the standard of being who we say we are. 

We depend on our pets.  How often have you taken your pet for granted just because they're there?  How often do they give you that comfort you yourself didn't even know you needed?  I even depend on my chickens--I know that, no matter how stressed I get otherwise, I can always go out to the coop for some peaceful clucking and possible feathery snuggles.  Ditto the horses, without the clucking and feathers.  (Of course, I keep trying to talk Scott into letting me have a Shire.  That way, I'd have the horse AND the feathers.  The cussed man keeps saying NO.  With a capital NO.) 

Just because I can, here's a pic of a Shire like I keep asking for.

We are so used to living in the information age and taking things (and people) for granted that we forget that it's sometimes good to just slow down and appreciate, rather than rushing on to the next search, the next job, the next, the next, the next.  Folks, please take a moment to appreciate the people, animals, and even inanimate objects you depend on.  (for me, I have a favorite rock that I have to almost caress on the way up from the cellar, but I appreciate it for its solidity, placement, and permanence.  It helps to literally ground me.)  Everyone has to depend on someone, even if they don't think they are doing so.  Everyone has someone who depends on them, whether they know it or not. 
Mitakuye Oyasin.  We are all related.

No comments:

Post a Comment